A listening game to build relationships
So, there we have it, networking is a listening game to build relationships. But, we knew that anyway. The key questions are:
• Are you listening as well as you can?
• Are you being listened to well?
• Have you established with whom you need to build further relationships?
• Do you know which are possible customers? suppliers? referrers?
• Does it matter to the way you build the relationship?
So, if your networking is going to help you build all 3 of these types of relationships, not just widen your social circle, you need to plan how you are going to achieve this, be it the networking events you go to, your skill at these events and the follow up or working with others whose skill level or interest is not the same as yours.